Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hunting: Controlling Population or Just Plain Stupid

I am an animal lover~have been for as long as I can remember. I feel like all animals are beautiful (except frogs which absolutely gross me out...but i would still never kill one). Anyway, me and my husband have long debated the point of hunting. To me its useless... it epitomizes everything that I cannot stand about "manly" men. He says its a sport... I tell him no SPORT entails one side of the team with such an unfair advantage as to be carrying around guns or bows--and lets not forget the other team such an unwilling participant. Can you see the game of soccer being played in close quarters where one team gets to shoot the other when they get within range and the other team just running for their life?
I mean, honestly how can you call that a sport--deer are quite majestic and I am not really even sure why someone would want to destroy such a beautiful animal.
Have you ever seen the video of the hunter being trampled by the Buck. Like this deer is full out kicking this man's ass. I love that video! I Love that finally the deer got the advantage and beat the living shit out of this man--damn near death if i recall (how do you like it). It should always be that way. More men should get trampled by the sharp hooves of a bucks foot while out hunting.
Oh and don't even get me started on how ugly it is to then take the head of that animal and plop that bad boy up on your wall and call it a TROPHY? what the fuck is that shit? I mean it absolutely enrages me! John's parents have a room in the house that has a bunch of deer heads on it and a thousand fish. It looks retarded~its gross actually. Needless to say when we visit I don't go in there much and I know the kids get creeped out when they have to sleep in there (thank goodness i have done my job and they think its creepy).
Anyway, me and John have long debated the "population control" factor. He says the deer would overtake the land... WELL NOT IF MAN WOULD QUIT BUILDING ON IT AND DESTROYING IT--Aren't there enough homes for everyone already anyway?! We go back and forth about this (i might add that John has not hunted since the 90's and still whines about it--to which I often reply "shut up".)
Recently I took a Planet Green Quiz on Eco-Myths....one of the questions was:
A licensed hunter helps to contribute to:
And I had to pick the a appropriate answer... I believe there was 4 to chose from one of which being Population Control.
I picked Population Control... Have I been so brain washed to actually believe there was a shred of truth to this? Well, you know I felt like maybe there was some truth to it...and really it was more about me being right in this case and wanting a good score then about sticking by my opinion, so I went with it. I can tell you that I have actually never been so happy to be so wrong. I printed that answer out and gleefully presented it to my husband later that night! Ha ha ha! "I am right and you are wrong", I sang. Reading the passage from my wrong selection:

Despite the common belief that hunting helps control animal populations,
many wildlife experts say it actually manipulates the population, causing a
constant compensatory rebound effect. This in turn actually upsets the
possibility of animals ever reaching a population equilibrium. The only
real reason reason for hunters, is recreation and economy (yes, hunting makes
a lot of money through the acquisition of licenses and equipment).

Being right has never felt so good!


1 comment:

  1. i never saw that video before. my favorite part was the french voice-over! haha. hunting is gross. it's just an ego-trip. and wtf do you do with all that meat? ick.

    ReplyDelete