Thursday, July 2, 2009

Immortality

Today during a falls meeting the DNS took a phone call, we all sat around watching her face go from cheerful to horrified. She turned to the room and said Helen's (names have been changed to protect the identity of those involved) son was just found dead. What do I do?
So the day started out just like any other for Helen and in one split second someone will have the responsibility of telling her this shocking news and forever changing her~and not for the better I would imagine. In a room full of folks where tragedy is so prevalant~the news was not well received. One woman recently lost her husband, literally weeks ago. Another there had lost her son as well, something I'm sure you never fully recover from. Many are victims of cancer, have had siblings and parents die, and the many others have been dealt there own unfair hands in life.
Melissa and Charles quickly left the room to find Helen and deliver the shocking news. Upon hearing the screams from the next room many of us became teary eyed realizing how crushing this news had been. If I ever have to hear those words ~ I believe I myself will die, not physically but mentally. Others took the sounds and sobbing much more personally. One of my co-workers collapsing reliving the news of her own son's death I am sure.
I feel like alot of bad things happen to the people who work here and it makes me ever more nervous and unsure about my own life and my own families mortality. I worry that I was put here to be among those who can understand what I am going through...Well i dont want to be understood. I want to know that I am safe, and my kids will live long lives and be around long after I have been laid to rest.
Obviously, quitting based on the prospect or possibility that something bad might happen is not an option. And yeah yeah, bad things happen everywhere. But in my 34 years of life I feel like I have never been surrounded by so much pain and anguish in one small setting. It does scare me and not just a little!
Man is immortal; therefore he must die endlessly.
For life is a creative idea; it can only find itself in changing forms

1 comment:

  1. eek. how come the person who called wasn't the one to break the bad news?

    ReplyDelete