Wednesday, August 5, 2009

There is this Weird Bug Problem!

I've been absent from this blog for a little while now,off on my GREEN quest. But I decided I was long overdue to just write down a few things of summer~so that's what I am here for.
First of all, I may have mentioned the abundance of rain once or twice maybe? LOL. Of course i have mentioned it, how could i not? But I was watching something on TV the other day on Planet Green and this group was in the rain forest doing some research in Guyana~and after trekking like 800 ft up some ridiculous cliff they reached a never before researched part of the rainforest. The scientist noted that although they were in the rainforest the plant life was rather barren due to the excessive rain in this particular spot. He said that the abundance of rain actually causes the needed minerals and what not to leech away from the plants ever deeper into the ground.
It was particularly an AH HA moment for me. Because with the rain as
heavy and relentless as it has been this year I can't get over how poor my
plants are doing. I have insect infestation on hostas which are the hardiest
of the hardy plants. I mean, I didn't even know that these could get bugs...really. And do I even dare mention the very strange fly problem I am having in the back yard???
I had asked a friend who also keeps chickens in her yard... and typically confines them to the run during the day if she has flies from her chickens she said "NO". Damn it, there goes that theory, can't blame the chickens. Flies are everywhere...and what's weird is the way they are dying. They are covering all of my plants. I'm not talking one or two dead flies on my plants. They are dying in droves (I'll have to get a picture to show...or you might not believe me). They look to be alive, they are on the underside of the leaves of whatever plant they happen to be on and they are STUCK hard to the plant. I almost want to tell you they are sort of melted there. Its weird, its like they are ingesting something toxic from the plants! Which of course makes me wonder what on earth is in all this rain.
Remember the days of "acid rain"...is this a term we should re-introduce to the populations. These flies and their untimely deaths are making me wonder.

Everything is suffering. I usually have tons of sunflowers every year, this year I have ONE. Yes, exactly one. The rest have been eaten down by something of the insect world and the stems have barely reached 3 feet tall.
I took a few shots of what little harvest we have had from our garden. It would seem that the tomatoes are fairing pretty well. Oddly as these were all planted in containers this year giving the rain an escape through the bottom of the pot. I wonder if this is what is saving them. I got a few peas, the curliest peas I have ever seen. In fact they were so odd looking no one dared eat them. I let them sit on the counter for a couple days till the heat got the best of them and they ultimately began to wilt~at which time they became chicken snacks. Oh well, maybe we will have better luck next year with that crop.

I guess in the meantime we can at least shop the farmer's market and eat what they have grown and there are always the eggs~Salt and Pepper continue to lay two lovely eggs almost 6 days a week.
What a strange strange summer in Connecticut it has been.

2 comments:

  1. could it be your compost pile (that is attracting more flies than usual??) flies love garbage and stinky stuff. i know when i had a compost pile behind my apt., everytime i threw something in there, a million flies would buzz up out of the compost. it was icky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shortly after posting that our tomatoes were doing quite well they all began to take a turn for the worst. WEll, there is always next year.

    ReplyDelete