Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

These my friends, are honest to Nature cage free eggs. No hormones, no antibiotics, no animals were abused in the making of these eggs! Aren't they perty. Before I left work for the day the kids had called me to let me know that we had an egg. They were so excited you would've thought we had a new chick!
"What do we do, where do we put it? AAAAAGH!"... "Put it in the fridge, no wait. Leave it out. Wait, no..grab a bowl. I don't know, i guess leave it on the counter." Ok, phew! that was a tough decision (apparently i was more nervous or excited than the kids) and before i got home the kids must've remembered all the egg cartons we've been collecting since we bought our fuzzy chicks~because egg 1 was placed gently in the carton and waiting for me to view when i arrived home.
They were pretty sure Pepper laid it...and she did use the nest box...which will make John happy. Knowing someone is using something he's made lol, :oP
But then when I got home they kept telling me that Pepper was still in the box and they weren't sure what was going on. I told them not to worry about it. I figured she was fine...but part of me did worry that I was given a broody hen! Wouldn't that just be some crappy luck~always expecting the worse.
Fact: A broody hen is a domestic hen ready to brood. (is it just me or can anyone else out there not stand when the definition lazily uses the word its defining). Basically a broody hen is a hen that is ready to hatch some eggs...Her biological clock is ticking...and she is looking for some babies! She will sit relentlessly on her nest in hopes of hatching eggs. Even if her eggs are not fertile and will never hatch :o(
We all went outside to make sure Pepper was doing ok and what to my wandering eyes should appear but a miniature sleigh...oh no wait, it was not a sleigh...but instead ANOTHER egg. Pepper turned around to check the other box and I quietly retrieves it from the box. She looked back in the box and seemed confused (not really). But can you imagine if you just delivered a baby then turned around and it was gone and you are left thinking "did i really just deliver that or am i nut-so?" LOL.
So we have our first official eggs and I couldn't be happier. Thanks Salt and Pepper~

2 comments:

  1. so who's gonna eat them?? are you gonna wait til you have enough for each of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, we dont usually eat eggs every day anyway! and i have a few store boughts i have to use up also. But i want to make them separate so we can see if these taste better! LOL

    ReplyDelete