Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Nest Boxes

Here is the outside view of the box, note the green drawer~it makes it so pretty (reduce, reuse, recycle PEOPLE! get inventive).
There is also the picture of the nest boxes together and then one side alone. The ladies seem to approve. I was a little worried when one of the kids told me that Daisy was in the nest box. I can't have them roosting in the boxes, but at the same time...how do you explain to a baby rooster that these are for eggs...not to be used as beds! I dont know that I would be able to get through to him.

Fact: they say you need one nest box for every 4-5 hens you have

Well, you know we have to make sure everyone is happy and has plenty of room here at Hotel Webster. We used an old dresser drawer to set these ladies up comfortably. John got home at about 6pm, stuffed a couple hamburgers in his face and went out to build the box. Under my supervision he worked quickly (lol, that was a joke) and was done within an hour. There are two boxes side by side set outside of the coop for easy egg removal. The top flips up and the nests exposed, you just have to reach in, steal the eggs, and run...run AWAY! I'm kidding about the running part~but there is always the chance that a hen may not want you to take her eggs and try to peck you...afterall these have the potential to become children if left alone. (not really...I think our roosters are not quite old enough to fertilize anything yet, but someday).
So along with Nest Boxes...come eggs!






No comments:

Post a Comment