Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Meet Salt and Pepper

A little fluffy Butt shot of the two ladies!
so here they are... the one on the left is Pepper, she is a ... well, honestly I can't remember her breed. Its a rock cornish or something. But she's a standard size lady hen, and it would seem that a cornish would be smaller. No? At any rate I tried to look it up on line and i just kept finding photos of actual cornish game hen dinners! So that's not my girl. The lovely grey and white butt next to her is Salt...she is without a doubt a Plymouth Rock. I knew i was getting the Plymouth Rock so I remember her breed. Its the other that is causing the blank.


A close up of Pepper
I believe it was Pepper who poked her head out first when I uncovered the box, she poked her head out and said "thank god I'm still alive! I thought I'd never get out of this box" and flew out. Her sister flew out about a half second later and they took to digging up the mulch. What a difference their big feet make. I thought the little ones did some damage to the vegetation till I saw these woman kick up their heels. I guess I'm glad we decided to go with a mulch covered yard this year, it gives them plenty to tear through and i can imagine the number of bugs they uncover is plentiful.



This is Salt and I think she's beautiful
Salt's manners are far greater than those of Pepper. Salt is definitely the more courteous of the two. She bumped one of my small roo's out of the way whereas Pepper literally grabbed neck feather and flung him to the side. I wish you could've seen poor Daisy walk away sulking ...retreating to the corner to cry. He was so excited about his new feathered friends. To be tossed away like yesterdays garbage made him so sad and I wanted so badly to console him...but alas, he's a chicken and they don't really respond to the coddling like you would think. Imagine that!


The ladies enjoying some new soil, and perhaps a new delicacy

These woman are used to the free range lifestyle, something I am still unsure about. I just can't stand the thought of watching one of my birds being hoisted off the ground and carried away by a hungry hawk. What a torturous and painful death it must be to be shredded alive by another winged creature! Thanks, but no thanks, I'm not ready to make that move yet! We are trying to allow them some time out of their cover as long as they are supervised. I think that's fair enough...and its only because we love them. <3



2 comments:

  1. i like how "his" name is still Daisy. maybe you should call him Duke. (get it? daisy-duke!) ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the kids did try to rename it, but Daisy is stuck. No way to change it now! oh well. He's so cute it fits

    ReplyDelete