Sunday, June 28, 2009

Relay for Life June 26-27th...well for me and Abi June 26th!

Here are a few pictures from Relay for Life. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable nights of my life between the rain, my wet jeans and sneakers, and my inability to control any of it.
Here is a picture of Abi getting a peace sign painted on her face by Ms. Mary...Abi is very much into peace signs these days. It must be a generational thing, I remember the peace phase when I was in high school...and who could forget the 60's!
Here is Abi fixing one of the signs that was literally washed away in the midst of the most ridiculous storm I've seen in a long time (next time i know to use paint when rain is expected). I was beginning to question if it was a hurricane as me and Abi were huddled under the overhang of a tent watching the hail/rain/ and electicity pound the ground all around us! I was slightly scared and couldn't take the risk of making a run for my car...as we would've had to cross a field to get there...we stayed put until I felt it was "safe".

This is a picture of most of the team...well, not even most but whoever was handy when I said "hey guys let me get a picture of the team". In order from left to right: Alyssa, Heather, Dawn, Erica, Brittany, Abby, Abi, and Ashley. I think this photo is missing about 12 or so people.

Below you will see a picture of our tent. It was an 80's themed Relay (did you know that I think the 80's styles all sucked!). We did 80's Movie Madness. And I think we may have had the most exciting tent there. We ran 80's movies all night on the projector screen set up just outside the tent...
You can see the Rubix cube... our movie directors cut sign, Christmas lights strung inside, and Posters of Various 80's movies hung inside. We sold glow necklaces, chocolate pops, and did face painting to raise more money for the cause.
HOPE is made of luminaria bags which were lit for the Luminaria Ceremony. Everyone carried a lit candle and walked in silence for one lap in honor all those affected by Cancer.
By 1am, Abi's feet were soaked, her socks had been removed hours earlier and her sneakers were rubbing which started to create blisters. I know she wanted so badly to try and stay the night. Next year she can go better prepared and I know she will be able to do it! She's a little young to even understand why she was there...she just goes where the dancers go...but it does make me feel good to know that I am raising a little girl who will someday understand what it means to "work for a cause".
She made the grown up decision that she couldn't do it...we hopped in the car and drove the 15 miles home to our nice warm beds. We'll be back again next year... I'm just hoping the weather will be better!






1 comment:

  1. gees, if this relay for life wasn't just a couple days ago, i'd think it was the same storm that blew thru michigan. so much lightning. anyway...goooooo abi!

    ReplyDelete