Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rain Rain...Go AWAY!

It has been months, literally since Connecticut has seen a week without rain. The Hartford Courant said that we have not seen a rain free week since April...its nearing the end of June. I need the sun to function... and am getting ever closer to insanity with ever drop of rain that falls. I remember a time when Connecticut had seasons, we had an honest to goodness Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Part of the reason I decided to move back after spending 4 years in South Carolina. Our chickens are wishing they were ducks, and the dogs wish they had life vests as they maneuver the treacherous waters of the back yard. Me, i am just wishing I lived in the desert at this point.
Typically I love the weather, specifically rain. I love electrical storms and the fact that man has yet to control the weather. Man works to improve or control everything that this earth (and universe) has to offer...so I often appreciate the way you cannot stop the weather. But this is getting ridiculous. My plants have bugs...and trees that would normally thrive with a daily watering are starting to droop unable to hold all the water made available to them.
The smell emitting from the chicken coop is almost unbearable due to the amount of water accumulating around the chicken poo~keeping it 'uber wet. Not to mention the compost pile, which should remain damp (not drenched) all summer long, but is instead rotting inside of itself, unable to "bake" properly in the sunshine...which is a much needed resource to keep it "composting" rather than ROTTING.
The garden we planted about a month ago is nothing more than a mud hole, with the occasional weed popping through. And the rain barrel set up to harvest mother natures tears...has become far less essential than I could have ever imaged. If we had set up 200 rain barrels this year we still would not be able to keep up with supply. It sits full...and useless...overflowing with every passing storm.
I am incredibly visual and rely on the sun to bring me my own sense of peace and wellness. Without it I'm sure to lose myself into some great depression. I remind myself that the rain is here washing away all the dirt and assisting in the much needed breakdown of humanity. But my reminders are futile...and leave me feeling sad.
Unfortunately, at this point all I can do is hope and wish for some drier days ahead.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you need a vacation in sunny san diego :) bring the kids... you can stay for free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm coming... as soon as i can buy plane tickets! (or mason might make us drive, he's all about NOT flying)

    ReplyDelete