Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Life Before the Internet...or the Computer for that Matter

How did we ever survive? I can remember back when computer's were so foreign and some what scarey. Sitting in front of one in 7th grade computer class using the DOS screen. I am not even sure what that is...or if I even said it right. The black very basic screen where we entered commands and kept our fingers crossed that the end result would be the one the teacher was asking for. It wasn't as user friendly as clicking around our precious Windows... thank you Mr. Bill Gates! I also remember the first time I saw a screen saver....the iconic Windows window flashing across the black screen in primary colors. I was 18 and in AWE! No joke. I didn't say a word but I remember being giddy at the mere thought of that computer with the magical screen eventually becoming my own!!!!
Then later came the addiction to the internet, first my discovery of 'searching' and realizing that you could find out utterly ANYTHING your heart ever desired just by entering a simple word or phrase. It was amazing, it was awesome, it was.... unbelievable. Clicking my way around finding things that, I had just days before, didn't even knew existed. Like AIM, if I make a screen name and go into chat rooms strangers will talk to me! Who would've guess? Now I have outgrown this and realize the dangers.....but back then....it was captivating and very alluring.
I have not been without a computer since the early 90's.... And I can say I have not been without the internet since the mid ninety's. Remember dial-up??? Back then it was a miracle, now it seems ridiculous and how impatient we are when we have to wait more than a split second to get something to load--not to mention the idea of having a cord holding us to our connection. Instant gratification is what we are all looking for.
Almost two years ago I received a shiny knew computer...with Windows Vista. Little did I know that Vista was like the dark unloved cousin to XP for a reason. I had no problems with Vista until recently ~ around January, when my computer crashed without warning. That hateful blue screen staring back at me, laughing at all that contents of my computer that had been lost. OHHH say it isn't so. Songs, Pictures, Artwork, Essay's...the list is endless. All LOST.
But alas it was true, it was all gone, gone, gone. And my computer has not been the same since. In the last 8 months we have wiped out and reloaded my computer more times than i dare remember...losing a few pictures and memories with each passing. Today, I will be handing over my best friend to our neighbor Marwin in an attempt to fix this problem once and for all.
Will I be able to survive the few days he has warned we will be without????
Thank freakin god I have a computer at work and Mason has the laptop for those fiendish moments where I can't control it and must know some bit of useless information ~sitting at that keyboard clicking in whatever it is I NEED to know so urgently.
But for now, I would like to tell you this is why my blogs have lacked recently...and I am hoping that when my computer is returned to me it will be as shiny, new, and speedy as it had once been in its more formidable years!!!! Wish me luck through this computerless venture in an utterly computer driven world.

They tried to make me go to rehab...I said NO, NO, NO!
Yes I've been black but when I come back you'll know know know
I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fineHe's tried to make me go to rehab but I won't go go
go!!!!

1 comment:

  1. do you realize the day i had access to the internet on my own computer is the day i started searching for a new place to live outside of bristol. i found a place and ever since, i just keep moving farther away! haha. well seriously though. it was like the entire world because as small as my computer screen at that moment i got online.

    ReplyDelete