Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Squirrel Rehab Part 2

I am so excited to announce that little "Buddy" is still alive and doing quite well. Here is an early picture of him, actually taken about 3 or 4 days after he arrived. You will notice his fur is very sparse and his head is incredibly large. Well, this little guy, while his eyes are still stamped shut has grown some lovely fur down his back and its coming in along his tail. His little plump belly is also growing its fine white hair right on schedule.
I switched him from Scalded Milk Formula after his growth and dehydration both seemed stunted. He is currently eating Esbilac, which is a puppy formula~mixed with a dash of heavy cream for fat. I researched and researched, and then researched some more and everyone (as in real rehabbers) points to this particular formula. If it works for them its got to work for me.
Now in the past the squirrels we have rehabbed have been fed a diet of whole milk, egg, and peanut butter....Not my recipe, but that of the person rehabilitating them prior to bringing them to me. These squirrels did turn out fine (for all intents and purposes) so I am not one to say whether she was wrong or right. But when I'm trying to save a little life, I truly aim to do what is right (or at least presumably right).
He's been here two weeks and should have his little eyes open by next week. GOOD THING TOO. Everyone is heading back to school and work this Thursday and there will be no one home to check on him every minute of the day!
I will post more recent pics in Part 3 later on. But for now, enjoy this little guy. I'm so excited he's made it this far!

1 comment: